15.4.09

Sox... and Blackhawks

Sox Record: 4-4

Place in the A.L. Central and Games back: They're behind the Royals. More importantly, the Tribe is(are?) now 2-7. The A.L. Central is gonna be wide open unless someone goes on a 10-1 stretch.

Most annoying person in the Sox organization: No one is annoying me at the moment. Ozzie is pushing it with his "lets have guys who can't hit or walk lead off!" revolving door. And Konerko's non-sucky start has me not disliking him. And Brian Anderson only annoys me because Sox fans think he's the second coming of Micky Mantle (I was going to say Willie Mays be we all know you cannot compare black players to white players in baseball, basketball, or quarterbacks).

Member of the White Sox I love the most at the moment: Jermaine Dye. Congrats to him on his 300th home run. He also set the record for the most consecutive times an outfielder hits the cutoff man with his 1,439th successful to the cutoff man from right field. Seriously, this is the most over looked aspect of Dye's game and just one of the 472 reasons why it's a joy to watch him play baseball. He never seems to miss the cut off man. And after watching Carlos Lee and Magglio in the early part of the decade miss the cutoff man at least once a game, Dye's job in right field over the last four plus years has been an absolute joy.

Number of awkward moments between Hawk and Stone: None that I've caught. I think this booth will some how work if only because Stone used to work with Harry Carey, and I don't care if you're the biggest Hawk hater in the world (and I'm up there), Carey was a 100 times worse those last few years he was on air. And Stonie didn't kill him, so Hawk has that going for him.

Rhetorical Question of the Day: With the Blackhawks, probably the #2 team in my heart*, starting the playoffs tomorrow; I'm going to start a new section here on this fine little White Sox blog...

Thoughts on the most bizarre between innings promo ever: No not the Connie's Pizza race (they changed it after fifteen years of the stoned sausage pizza running in a race against a strung out cheese pizza and happy to be there pepperoni pizza). It started last year when for reasons that no one can explain, the Hawks had a promo between innings at Sox games. The beauty of this promo was it started with a Thome home run, which turned into Towes and Kane finding a baseball at the UC, they shoot the ball!?!, and all of a sudden Nick Swisher is making a fake catch at the wall robbing them of a home run? It really made no sense, but the best part was the game they had where fans had to shoot a baseball using a hockey stick five feet into a net while some poor college intern had to dress in a goalie uniform and cheer them on. But here was the best part of the promo... no one EVER made it. Seriously, it at the 20 or so games I went to, not once did the fan score a goal. Apparently this is the hardest thing to do in life.

So with that in mind, from here on out, comments on the Hawks will go here. And I'm pumped for tomorrow.

* Despite me not really ever thinking about the Bears during down time, I seem to get quite emtional during Bears games. Fist pumps, jumming up and down and other cliche things that you see guys do in Best Buy commercials. I have no clue what my physical reactions will be as the Hawks start the playoffs against the Flames.

No comments: