8.2.06

Picture Book

The nice thing about blogging is that you can write whatever you want to write about… sounds silly I know, but when you’re just a few months (fine 19) removed from university (shout out to the Brits!) the ability to go to bed saying “do I really care that much about Bush’s budget which will never get approved once Congress gets their hands on it?” and then wake up and say, “no I don’t, I’m not going to get angry about something that hasn’t even happened yet.” And just like that, Bush’s budget is gone.

Instead I’ll get a bit arty and do a short photo essay… just some pictures I’ve taken over the past year or so and comments and the sentimental feelings that come from them… awwwww.

I dropped by that war protest back in September in DC and checked it out just to see what was up with it all. It wasn’t very eventful, but it was pretty cool to see the number of people there (as an added bonus any time you can be in DC and see about 50,000 people not wearing suits is always a can’t miss event). Anyway this is sort of an interesting picture: colorful, diverse, and subdued for a protest.

I love this photo. I think it’s the best picture I’ve ever taken. The way the water is falling off the fountain and how the sun is coming in all with St. Peter’s in the background. Two of the symbols of life, water and the sun, with St. Peter’s in the background. Pretty cool. Anyway, I was waiting on the roomie at this point just taking it all in at the Holy See. Just the number of people and the amount of diversity in the square is always amazing.

I like this photo because I’m taking a picture of the guy who’s taking a picture and for all I know he’s taking a picture of me taking a picture of him, which would be really cool. Plus you get a feel of the Italians and tourists in the square and how big those columns are around the square.

This was the view from our porch at the old apartment in Hyde Park. I liked the sky. But looking back, it’s just sort of cool to capture something or a view that is easily forgettable a few months later. I probably looked at this view on a daily basis, yet pretty much forgot about it until last night when I was going though some old pictures. I think that’s one of the nice things about cameras, and digital cameras especially, they allow you to capture a view, time, and area and hold on to it for years and years letting you go back to that time and attempt to remember what you were thinking and feeling at that time.

Here’s a view of State Street in Madison, Wisconsin one of the great streets in America. I’m sure I’d get sick of it if I went to school in Madison and hung out there every other week night, but as a visitor it’s a great street. Cool shops and shopping during the day offering a little something for everyone (and I hate shopping for the record) and then it turns into a quality dining street in the evening. Then it transforms into party central at night, topped off with bar time around 2:30 when all the bars close and everyone piles on to State Street and it becomes a shitefest. Always a good time. I like the guys on bikes and the people chillin’ in the cafes. Madison’s one of the few places in America were there’s an actual café life where people understand what’s up and it’s worth taking it all in.

I’m surprised this picture turned out so well. I think this was taken in late May so the last rites of spring are attempting to hold on to the short life it has left before summer takes over. In the back ground you can see the Wisconsin state capitol building (I’m not sure if state capitols should be spelled like the US Capitol or like just a capital? Anyone know?) Anyway, the leaves are green, there’s a code ed that looks hung over, and the campus looks nice. Gosh I love Madison.

The point! Save the point! These pics have me longing for summer (plus I’m listening to the Hip right now who reminds me of summer ironically). Anyway, when the weather was warm enough, I’d hit up the point after work and try to shrug off the long day of work I had just completed. It was a good relaxer before making some eats and taking in the Sox game. Lake Michigan looks nice doesn’t it? It was still sort of cold this day, I remember that because of the other photos (which you won’t be seeing). Anyway, an ex and I headed off to the point to check it out on this May day. I’m sure at the time I was much more excited about life beginning again and things turning green and growing and this picture sort of captures that. I also like the couple sitting on the steps. I wonder what they were talking about?

I walked by this lamp post at least once a day, sometimes three or four times a day. I took this view in pretty much ever day for a year. And again, I had sort of forgotten about it. The Quad at U of C looks nice… all green and sunny. I can’t tell you how long last winter was, it snowed on April 23rd or something and it continued to be cold (like in the 40s) into May (I freezed my ass off at a Sox game in early May). So this green and the such must have had me pumped for summer and life. Anyway, I like the lampposts at U of C, very Lion, Witch, and the Wordrobeish in my opinion.

This here is Yale's quad at the end of the summer/beginning of the school year. By the time I was back up there in October, the leaves were starting to change colors and fall was settling in. Anyway, sort of interesting the difference between U of C and Yale’s quad eh? U of C’s is much bigger and much nicer; but Yale’s does have a genuine historical aspect that U of C does not have (U of C’s quad was built in the late 19th century IIRC; Yales in the 17th century or something). The lampposts aren’t U of C’s that’s for sure. Yale's a weird campus, it doesn't have a landmark or anything that really stands out. In fact, as a campus it's a bit disapointing, but New Haven is a really cool town so go figure.

Okay, that’s enough of this, I’m sure you’re bored out of your mind if you’re at this point… have a good one.

No comments: