6.10.05

Go, Go White Sox

I first heard this song on the 1987 or 1988 VHS tape that was sent to all season ticket holder discussing the 'history' of the Chicago White Sox. I probably watched that tape 84 times in the winter of 1988. Of course it wasn't until I was a teenage kid watching Terry Bevington and his rag tag band of Belle's and losers that I realize that this was a franchise of finishing in the middle of the American League. In other words a history of mediocrity which was perfectly summed up by Harold Baines getting his number retired before he even retired (but would later bring us the humor of having to 'unretire' his number) and hold every major batting record even though his numbers with the Sox weren't all that special nor anything close to Hall of Fame type numbers. And since Baines has left three or four guys have surpassed his numbers. But some how it's very South Side all the same.

But back to Sox history and losing, things got so bad that I still later blame Hawk for the years of enjoying, yes enjoying, the late 80s White Sox led by non other than Ivan Calderon (may he rest in peace), Mr. Melido Perez, and a 74 year old Carlton Fisk. It's amazing that I even care about this team after what Hawk put be through as a young child. Then again, I didn't really have many options since both teams to the north stunk even more.

This is a fun little song anyway. I'd rank it fourth in greatest song about a Chicago Sports Team. Here is the list:
5) Dying Cubs Fan Last Request*
4) Go, Go White Sox (click to listen to the song)
3) Bear Down, Chicago Bears
2) Here Come the Hawks
1) The Super Bowl Shuffle

*I'm sure I'll take heat for putting this song on the list, but it's a good song. Plus I change the lyrics to this during the chorus:
Do they still play the blues in Chicago?
When baseball season rolls around
When the snow melts away,
Do the White Sox still play
In the Baseball Palace of the World?
When I was a boy they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the middle of the American League

No comments: